The University of Arkansas Children's Choir is open to any boys and girls grades 2-12 who are interested in singing. We have all levels of singers in our choirs from beginners to advanced.
The UACC has two choirs:
UACC I is for grades 2nd through 6th (meets on Tuesdays 5:00pm-6:00pm)
UACC II is for grades 6th through 12th (meets on Tuesdays 6:15pm-7:30pm)
*All rehearsals are held in the UA Music Building, room 335.
The audition procedure
does not have to be scary! We try to make it as relaxed as possible and
really want to get to know you as a person (not just your voice). In
order to make you feel at ease, we've provided a few suggestions to help
you be as prepared and confident as you can be.
1) To schedule an audition. You may schedule an audition by emailing [email protected]
2) Print the audition form and fill it out completely. Ask your parents for help if you need it, and pay special attention to make sure your contact info is written neatly so we can read it. (Word Doc version of audition form)
3) Arrive a little early and bring your completed audition form with you. Being early is a good idea as parking and finding the music building on campus can be a challenge for those not familiar with the area. Being early helps your singer feel confident about what they are doing and avoid feeling rushed.
4) Know what is expected of you. We will go very easily, step by step. You will be asked to sing to the top and bottom of your range on "pa"(similar to warm-ups sung in a choir class or voice lesson), we will do some simple pitch matching exercises (we'll sing some notes and you sing them back to us) and sing a simple song such as "My Country Tis of Thee" or "Twinkle Little Star". We will try to sing harmony with you (while you sing the melody) to see if you can hold your part while we add harmony. All of this will be very easy and we will help you each step of the way. You do not have to prepare a specific song to sing for us (unless you just really want to). Jr. High and High School singers may be asked to sing some sight-reading samples using Do, Re, Mi, etc.
We are looking to see how teachable you are, if your personality and attitude are a good fit for the choir, your level of musicality, and how you respond to a challenge.
5) Parents are encouraged to accompany their child to the audition, but may choose to wait outside of the audition room if it makes the child more comfortable. You, of course, are also welcome in the audition room as well. It's up to you and your young singer to decide.
6) Be prepared to talk with us a little. We want to get to know you as a person. We may ask about your answers on the audition form, or find out about the things you like, the books you read, etc. Again, we are looking for young people who are articulate and engaging.
7) Relax. Be yourself. Do your best. Some nervousness is to be expected. We know that. It's okay. We just want you to feel comfortable, show us the real "you" and sing to the best of your ability. Hope to see you soon and best wishes for your audition!